No improvement in Commercial EPC compliance

National Energy Services have just completed the third month of their EPC Compliance Index and the results show there has been no further improvement.

The EPC Compliance Index was launched in October as a partnership between National Energy Services and Building Magazine and its objective is to track the monthly compliance with the law on EPCs in the commercial property sector.

The index follows NES' research in June 2009 which showed that more than 80% of commercial property agents were unable to supply a mandatory EPC for the offices or shops they were marketing for sale or rent.

The third EPC Compliance Index stands at 32 meaning that 32% of the commercial properties were legal and compliant in December 2009. The other 68% did not have an EPC lodged on the Government’s official register. December’s research was of 521 commercial buildings throughout Lincoln, Northumberland, Nottingham and Hertfordshire.

Austin Baggett

All properties were individually identifiable and have been on the market in the last 30 days.

Austin Baggett, Deputy MD of NES said "We are disappointed that the December index failed to improve on November’s results. 32% compliance on a regulation that has been fully operational for nearly a year is woeful.

"What is the point of Ed Miliband’s fighting talk at Copenhagen when we can’t even take the relatively easy step to make the carbon emissions from our commercial buildings more transparent? The industry must set a target that we will be fully compliant within 12 months. We urge the Government to take forward the 4 recommendations we made back in June."