EPCs for Holiday Homes

DCLG recently announced that an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) will be required for holiday lets in England & Wales, effective from 30th June 2011.

As with all other requirements under the European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD), this guidance only applies to ‘qualifying buildings’ and specifically an EPC will not be required for mobile homes, caravans, tents, park homes or other temporary buildings.

Not all buildings used for holiday lets will need an EPC.  The trigger threshold for the requirement for the EPC will be when the property is rented out for a combined total of 4 months or more in any 12 month period.

NES has prepared a fact sheet for holiday home owners and letting agencies to explain these recent changes and how they can use an EPC.  The fact sheet is available to download here (and NHER scheme members can also find it in the useful documents section on NES One).