EPC Index creeping up - but 64% still non-compliant
The EPC Index in January was 36, just 11 points higher than where it started in October last year.
The monthly EPC Index, run by National Energy Services and Building.co.uk, monitors how many commercial builds being marketed have a valid energy performance certificate (EPC). In January, 36% of commercial properties were legal and compliant, while the other 64% did not have an EPC lodged on the government's official registry.
Brian Scannell, managing director of NES, said:
“For over a year now it has been a legal requirement that all commercial buildings being marketed for sale or rent should have an EPC available to inform prospective buyers and tenants about the energy performance of the building. It applies equally to all ‘non-domestic’ buildings – from large city-centre offices to the typical High Street shops and offices that make up the vast majority of our commercial property stock.
“But despite increasing attempts at enforcement action by Trading Standards, compliance is only proceeding at a snail’s pace – we can see that almost two thirds of all commercial properties for sale or rent are still flouting the law.
“You can’t argue that it doesn't matter, especially in the face of this week’s latest warnings about energy shortages and significant fuel price rises.
“The display of the EPC rating should be mandatory on all commercial building agents' particulars. This is already in place for the sale of homes and it brings real transparency and helps consumers.”
The index has been introduced to follow up on NES' research in June 2009, which showed that more than 80% of commercial property agents were unable to supply a mandatory EPC for the offices or shops they were marketing.
The sample for January included 564 commercial buildings throughout Cheshire, Gloucestershire and Shropshire. All properties are identifiable and have been on the market in the past 30 days.