Commercial EPC Compliance Increases - but still under 50%

March's Commercial EPC compliance index stands at 48 - which whilst showing an increase on previous months, is still some way short of industry expectations.

This monthly index, run by NES and Building.co.uk, monitors how many commercial buildings currently being marketed have a valid EPC. In March 2010, 48% of commercial properties identifiable on the government's central register were legal and compliant, whilst the remaining 52% did not have an EPC lodged.

Click on the chart for a larger version.

This index was introduced to follow up on our research in June 2009 which showed that more than 80% of commercial property agents were unable to supply a mandatory EPC for the offices or shops they were marketing. The sample for March includes 700 buildings taken from the areas of Bedford, Bath and North East Somerset and Bournemouth and includes properties that have a floor area in excess of 50 sqm and which have been on the market for at least six months.

It is encouraging to see a continuation of the month-on-month improvement in compliance rates, but for the index to still be under 50, it shows just how much improvement there is to be made. We look forward to a further substantial increase in April's figures.

Previous Commercial EPC compliance news items